Pages

Saturday 28 December 2013

Femi Kuti Celebrates 4th Grammy Award Nomination

Femi Kuti Celebrates 4th Grammy Award Nomination

28 Dec 2013
Font Size: a / A
281213F.Funke-and-Femi-Kuti.jpg - 281213F.Funke-and-Femi-Kuti.jpg
Funke and Femi-Kuti with son Made
Afrobeat maestro, Fela Anikulapo Kuti got his 4th Grammy Award nomination recently and one would think this shouldn’t make any sense to the eclectic singer especially because bringing home the diadem is still a fantasy. He was honoured in Lagos at the Encomium White Gig last Sunday as the edition of the show was commemorative of his 4th Grammy award nomination. Non-compliant Femi stormed the show in a bus and was draped in adire as against the ‘all-white’ dress colour code. His entry motioned most eyes to his direction particularly because he flouted the rule which his sister, Yeni complied with. He was ushered to the stage where he recounted what the most prestigious music award nomination means to him.
He told the cheerful audience he was excited when the nomination came in his favour again because the number which previously was pruned to five from thousands of entries, was reduced to four, yet he made it. He’s however hopeful he’d bring home the diadem this time around. During the show, he spoke about Fela’s incredible apathy to his dream of becoming an Afrobeat star. “For six years, Fela and I were not talking because he refused to teach me music yet he had the best qualification to do so. Every time I went to him, he would say, don’t worry, I’m not teaching you music, but you will know music and you will be great. And so when I made my first hit album, after many people told me I was better as a fisherman, Fela said, ‘I no tell you sey you go become great?’
Interestingly so, in 2013, Made, Femi’s 17-year-old first son got admission to study music at the Trinity College of Music, the same school where his grand dad honed his skills.
This development gladdens Femi enough for him to make a prophetic statement: “Made is better than me” despite his experience on the beat. Femi also employed the medium to reiterate his support for new generation of singers. “Wizkid was surprised when I joined him in the studio to do the Jaiyejaiye song. And I didn’t charge him a Kobo. How will I be asking for money from a generation I should support

No comments:

Post a Comment